Tuesday, January 12, 2010

İMAMBAYILDI



  






























 BABY EGGPLANTS WITH OLIVE OIL
I remembered this summer dish as soon as I saw these teeny-tiny eggplants in our local Indian store. I usually follow the seasons for buying vegetables and fruit but I just couldn't resist.

Tomatoes which were used in this recipe are from summer. When they are so fresh and much more cheaper in the summer time I buy some more for coming winter. I just chop and place them in small freezer bags and store in the freezer.


Serves for 4-6

Ingredients
  • 20 of baby eggplants
  • 1 large size of onions
  • 20 baby chilli peppers 
  • 10 cloves of garlic ( chopped)
  • 3 medium size of tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp of tomato paste
  • 1/3 cup of olive oil
  • a pinch black pepper
  • salt
Wash and trim eggplants. Cut them "+" shape that go almost halfway from the bottom. Take 1/3 cup of olive oil in large pot and heat over medium-high heat. Take all 20 eggplants in the pot at the same time and cover the lid. Do not open the lid just shake the pot gently every two minutes until they are nicely brown. Turn the heat off and take eggplants to a dish. Chop the onion and take them to the same pot. Saute with the remaining olive oil. Wash and trim chilli peppers and add them with garlic to the pot and stir .Peel and grate tomatoes. Add them to the pot with tomato paste and stir. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.Add salt and black pepper to the pot and stir.Place  eggplants to the pot and cover the lid. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 30 minutes.

6 comments:

Nar said...

This is my favorite eggplant dish. It's served with currants in the filling at our cafeteria. Is that a traditional addition, or is it something odd? Maybe it depends on where you are. I'm in Istanbul.

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Hi Zerdal,
I love this it too. This is the first time I have ever heard eggplant and currants in the same dish. However, our cuisine is so reach that people cook same dish with a lot of different ways.
Iffet

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A classic dish that I still have to try! Yours looks really good! eggplants are so versatile and delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Saliha said...

mmmmmellerıne saglık ıffetcım,ımambayıldı cok severım,patlıcan sevımezmı yaaaaaa:D:D

SeViL ( sevdalitatlar ) said...

Ellerınıze sağlık türk mutfagının vazgecılmesı bır lezzet..
Sevgilerle...

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Thank you Rosa...
Saliha, ben de patlicani cok severim...
Sevil Hanim, tesekkurler...
Iffet